The seasonís first week is barely in the books, yet itís not too early to start considering who the Rookie of the Year might be. Like previous seasons, I will try to track the Rookie of the Year throughout the year, noting if a player is rising or falling in the rankings. I'll provide my top 10 based on their cumulative achievements for the season, but also let the readers vote as to their favorites. At the end of the season, the fake Rookie of the Year in our fake league will win a shiny new fake car or fake something.
Last year in the first Rookie of the Year Tracker, Jets QB EJ Manuel was the man to beat, but he slowly faded and by the end of the season he wasnít even in consideration. By the end of the season, Kendall Irving was the near consensus best rookie of the class and led the Texans to an unexpected resurgence.
Week 1 did not see as many high impact rookie performances as it has in previous years, though there were definitely some early standouts. The top pick overall, the new-new Jets QB had a mixed performance in a loss to the Saints. Still, thereís a lot of games to be played. Though itís too early to truly wager who will be the 2016 Rookie of the Year, itís still fun to try and guess. Interesting to note how half of the candidates were drafted in the first round and half werenít.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. WR Mark Perez, DEN (173 yds, 21.6 avg, 1 TD) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.15
2. DE Vincent Hardy, GB (6 tkl, 1 TFL, 2 sacks) Previous Rank: 1.29
3. WR Rick Urban, DAL (96 yds, 10.7 avg, 0 TD) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.17
4. OLB Jermaine Newsome, JAX (7 tkl, 2 TFL, 1 sack) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.30
5. CB Cory Spielman, CIN (5 tkl, 1 INT, 2 DFL) Previous Rank: Drafted 2.30
6. QB Jonathan Higgins, NYJ (44.7%, 189 yds, 2/1 TD-Int) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.1
7. K Irv McCoy, TB (4/4 FG) Previous Rank: Drafted 4.13
8. HB Thomas Dishman, CIN (53 yds, 5.9 avg, 0 TD, 217 return yds, TD) Previous Rank: Drafted 5.1
9. WR Rock Pritchett, SEA (54 yds, 13.5 avg, 1 TD) Previous Rank: 2.14
10. OG Ty Blackmon, STL (7 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: 3.26
Also receiving consideration: WR Billy Crockett, HB Gerald Campbell, HB Vince Rogers, SS Josh Ware, CB Pete Nickerson, CB Kyan McGrady, OG Shannon Crockett, QB Brian Wilson