Itís time to check in for another look at the current Rookie of the Year race. Usually we try to look at the Tracker every few weeks, but this time weíll break with tradition and produce a list in back to back weeks. Mostly because I have a lot of work to do and I donít want to do it, so Iím trying to figure out ways to put it off as long as possible.
From Week 1 to Week 2 we see a lot of movement in the Top 10. This is to be expected as the rookie class has only played 8 quarters of football, and the first year players are still struggling to find their place in their respective offenses and defenses. Last weekís 2nd overall rookie, Vincent Hardy, tumbles for the number 2 spot all the way to number 10. After notching two sacks in Week 1, he went invisible in the second contest of the year. Rookie HB Thomas Dishman of the Bengals surprised in the first game, but is now not even in the list of those considered. Still, we see some solid performances emerging. For example, WRs Rick Urban and Mark Perez both return to the Top 3. OLB Jermaine Newsome had another great outing and moves up from number 4 to number 3.
On the defensive side of the ball, it is harder to see clear leaders emerging. Nine different rookies have interceptions this year, but only 1 each. Top rookies such as Pete Nickerson and Blaine Hasty show promise, but need to string together some solid performances to rise to the top. However, itís only Week 2 and thereís much football to be played, so itís anybodyís contest.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. WR Rick Urban, DAL (233 yds, 16.6 avg, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: 3rd
2. WR Mark Perez, DEN (197 yds, 17.9 avg, 1TD) Previous Rank: 1st
3. OLB Jermaine Newsome, JAX (12 tkl, 4 TFL, 1 sack) Previous Rank: 4th
4. QB Jonathan Higgins, NYJ (54.5%, 464 yds, 3/2 TD-Int) Previous Rank: 6th
5. MLB Rodney Kates, SF (15 tkl, 1 TFL, 0 sacks, 2 FF) Previous Rank: NR
6. OT Michael Millen, ATL (10 Pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
7. WR Rock Pritchett, SEA (152 yds, 25.3 avg, 2 TD) Previous Rank: 9th
8T. OG Ty Blackmon, STL (11 Pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: 10th
8T. OG Darrell Freeman, NYJ (11 Pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
10. DE Vincent Hardy, GB (7 tkl, 1 TFL, 2 sacks) Previous Rank: 2nd
Dropping out of the Top 10: CB Cory Spielman, K Irv McCoy, HB Thomas Dishman.
Also receiving consideration: HB Riddick Owen, MLB Riddick Battle, CB Pete Nickerson, CB Blaine Hasty, SS Kendall McFarland, OT AC Terrell, WR Jorge Lloyd, SS Josh Ware, K Irv McCoy