Once again itís time to look over the rookie of the year candidates! We last looked in after week 2 and now that itís almost halfway thru the season, the race is really taking shape.
Rookie QB Derek Pope didnít make the list after his fine performances in Week 6 and 7 after Christopher Henderson went down for the year. But if he keeps it up, expect to see him enter the chase. First pick overall Jonathan Higgins had a breakout 5 TD game last week but still dropped out of the rankings after a stretch of 0 TDs and 5 picks over 3 games. Three solid young HBs are in the chase for top rookie, including Gerald Campbell was slow out of the gate but is now very much in the running.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. DE Amos Houston, JAX (25 tkl, 5 TFL, 9 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
2. WR Rick Urban, DAL (761 yds, 16.5 avg, 5 TDs) Previous Rank: 1st
3. HB Gerald Campbell, CAR (667 yds, 5.9 avg, 4 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
4. WR Mark Perez, DEN (619 yds, 16.7 avg, 6TD) Previous Rank: 2nd
5. HB Riddick Owen, BUF (589 yds, 4.9 avg, 2 TDs, 27.7 KR avg) Previous Rank: NR
6. HB Vince Rogers, TEN (621 yds, 4.2 avg, 3 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
7. OT Michael Millen, ATL (50 Pancakes, 2 sacks) Previous Rank: 6th
8. MLB Larry Ulrich, WAS (40 tkl, 2 TFL, 2 sack, 2 FR) Previous Rank: NR
9. MLB Rodney Kates, SF (40 tkl, 6 TFL, 0 sacks, 2 FF) Previous Rank: 5th
10. OLB Larry Pittman, SF (34 tkl, 4 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 FR) Previous Rank: NR
Dropping out of the Top 10: OLB Jermaine Newsome, QB Jonathan Higgins, WR Rock Prtichett, OG Ty Blackmon, OG Darrell Freeman, DE Vincent Hardy
Also receiving consideration: OLB Jermaine Newsome, QB Jonathan Higgins, QB Derek Pope, HB Chase Sullivan, CB Ray Turner, DE Vincent Hardy, CB Pete Nickerson, K Irv McCoy