It’s that time of the season again – time to review the rookie of the year candidates! We last looked in after week 8 and we are in the home stretch. It is likely this will be close to the final standings come the end of the season. Then again, you never know when a dark horse who is towards the middle of the pack may make a final sprint to the finish line.
The last few weeks have not meant some serious changes in the top 10 overall. Last time we checked in the ROTY top candidate was Jacksonville DE Amos Houston, who had 9 sacks in 8 games. Houston was followed closely by Dallas WR Rick Urban and Carolina HB Gerald Campbell. Houston is still very much in the running but has only 1 sack in the last 4 games. Campbell, on the other hand, has exploded with 8 100+ yard games in 9 contests and could literally be running away with the Rookie of the Year crown. WR Urban has been solid, but unspectacular in the second half of the season and has dropped to 6th place, so the race is a two man sprint which should go down to the wire!
Interesting to note the dramatic fall of QB Jonathan Higgins. Higgins started the season strong, but had two games in a row of 5 INTs, and he’s now thrown 25 on the season.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. HB Gerald Campbell, CAR (1425 yds, 5.6 avg, 8 TDs) Previous Rank: 3rd
2. DE Amos Houston, JAX (29 tkl, 7 TFL, 10 sacks) Previous Rank: 1st
3. HB Vince Rogers, TEN (1077 yds, 4.2 avg, 5 TDs) Previous Rank: 6th
4. HB Riddick Owen, BUF (930 yds, 4.5 avg, 3 TDs, 28.5 KR avg, 1 TD) Previous Rank: 5th
5. HB Chase Sullivan, NYJ (625 yds, 3.6 avg, 3 TDs, 148 yds rec, 27.8 KR avg, 3 TD) Previous Rank: NR
6. WR Rick Urban, DAL (949 yds, 15.6 avg, 6 TDs) Previous Rank: 2nd
7. OT Michael Millen, ATL (72 Pancakes, 3 sacks) Previous Rank: 7th
8. WR Mark Perez, DEN (861 yds, 15.9 avg, 9TD) Previous Rank: 4th
9. MLB Larry Ulrich, WAS (62 tkl, 4 TFL, 3 sack, 2 FR, 2 int) Previous Rank: 8th
10. CB Blaine Hasty, CIN (44 tak, 3 tfl, 4 int) Previous Rank: NR
Dropping out of the Top 10: MLB Rodney Kates, OLB Larry Pittman
Also receiving consideration: CB Ray Turner, MLB Rodney Kates, QB Derek Pope, WR Billy Crockett, OT Chuck Kaufman, CB Kyan McGrady, LE Vincent Hardy, GB K Irv McCoy, FS Sergio Fields,