The season is now in full swing – we’re closing in on the half-way point! Time to once again review those rookie of the year candidates! Last time we checked in was after Week 2 and it was a little early to get a good sense of how the first year players would perform. But by now we are starting to see the top players shine through and are able to separate the studs from the busts.
When we last looked at the rookie crop, Zac Stacy of the Chargers was running away with the Rookie of the Year Award. Since then, the Vandy product has cooled off a bit. The QBs have NOT excelled so far. While 7th pick overall Bo Callahan has seen some spot duty, the most active rookie QBs Johnny Manziel and Malik McNabb have combined for 5 TDs and 23 picks. Ouch! The real standout so far has got to be Josh Gordon. With 3 games of 100+ or more and 5 of his 6 games with a TD, it’s hard to find a player more impactful. First pick overall Richard Sherman still has yet to pick off a pass – but has 10 deflections and 16 catches allowed.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. WR Josh Gordon, 49ers (599 yds, 18.2 ypc, 6 TDs) Previous Rank: 6th
2. WR Marlon Brown, Saints (520 yds, 14.9 ypc, 6 TDs) Previous Rank: 2nd
3. HB Zac Stacy, Chargers (437 yds, 5.4 ypc, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: 1st
4. HB Tre Mason, Cardinals (483 yds, 4.2 ypc, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: 8th
5. MLB CJ Mosely, Eagles (37 tak, 4 tfl, 1 sack, 3 ints) Previous Rank: Pick: 4th
6. DE Jadeveon Clowney, Bears (20 tak, 5 tfl, 3 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
7. OT Greg Robinson, Raiders (27 pancakes, 1 sack) Previous Rank: 7th
8. DE Bradley Simmons, Ravens (18 tak, 3 tfl, 3 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
9. WR Aaron Drogan, Jets (413 yds, 13.8 ypc, 1 TD) Previous Rank: NR
10. C Demetrius Conway, Bills (24 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
Dropping out of the Top 10: TE Eric Ebron, OLB Ryan Shazier, DT Louis Nix, SS Deone Buchannon
Also receiving consideration: OLB Ryan Shazier, TE Eric Ebron, SS Deone Bucahnnon, MLB Ricky Austin, OLB Jimmy Tuputala, OLB Wesley Washington, DT Louis Nix, P Pat O’Donnell