Where has the season gone? The Playoffs are almost here and as the season comes to an end, itís time to once again review those rookie of the year candidates. We havenít checked in with the freshman class since Week 6 and much has happened since. Josh Gordon, Marlon Brown and Zac Stacy were top of the class. Who will emerge after strong performances in the 2nd half of the season? Who will fade?
Itís interesting to note that for the first time in a long time, no rookie QBs made the list. Malik McNabb, Johnny Manziel and Bo Callahan all were high picks but combined for 35 TDs and 65 picks. HB Zac Stacy was fast out of the gate, but disappeared in the second half of the season. After starting the season with over 300 yards in the first 2 games, Stacy managed to top 45 yards only twice more the rest of the way. If nothing else, 2017 was the year of the rookie WR. Five young pass catchers ended with over 1,000 yards receiving. None were better than Josh Gordon, the 2nd overall pick. Gordon was a factor all year and led all WRs in yards. Gordonís only real competition for Rookie of the Year was Jadeveon Clowney, the 4th overall pick. Clowney had 13 sacks, leading the league. Thereís no doubt these two freshman are the Offensive and
Defensive Rookies of the Year.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. WR Josh Gordon, 49ers (1652 yds, 18.2 ypc, 13 TDs) Previous Rank: 1st
2. DE Jadeveon Clowney, Bears (56 tak, 13 tfl, 13 sacks) Previous Rank: 6th
3. SS Deone Bucannon, Steelers (75 tak, 3 tfl, 6 Int) Previous Rank: NR
4. WR Sammy Watkins, Vikings (1324 yds, 15.4 ypc, 5 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
5. MLB CJ Mosely, Eagles (124 tak, 15 tfl, 2 sack, 3 ints) Previous Rank: 5th
6. HB Charles Sims, 49ers (1097 yds, 3.7 ypc, 10 TDs; 25.8 KR, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
7. WR Aaron Drogan, Jets (1332 yds, 15.0 ypc, 4 TD) Previous Rank: 9th
8. WR Mike Evans, Bears (1175 yds, 13.7 ypc, 7 TD) Previous Rank: NR
9. FS Sully Santos, Browns (62 tak, 4 Int) Previous Rank: NR
10. HB Tre Mason, Cardinals (1188 yds,3.7 ypc, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: 4th
Also receiving consideration: DE Yasmin Ferguson, WR Marlon Brown, OT Greg Robinson, OG Brandon Thomas, MLB Ricky Austin, OLB Ryan Shazier, OLB Jimmy Tuputala, DE Bradley Simmons, P Michael Palma
Dropping out of the Top 10: WR Marlon Brown, HB Zac Stacy, OT Greg Robinson, DE Bradley Simmons, OC Demetrius Conway.