A new season is upon us! Itís still very early in the season but never too early to start looking at the Rookie of the Year candidates. Each year the GMs love to try out their new toys and see if their first rounders live up to the hype and see if any late picks come out of nowhere to shine.
Surprisingly, only 1 of the Top 5 picks makes an appearance in the first edition of the Rookie Tracker. HB Todd Gurley has been living up to expectations as the new feature back in Tampa Bay. His 233 yards rushing through the first 2 weeks suggests heís the real deal. Top pick overall Trae Waynes didnít crack the list, but thereís a lot of football yet to play. Waynes has 2 deflections and 3 catches allowed so far, which is solid for a rookie. The rest of the Top 5 Ė HB Hill, DE Williams, and OT Royer all were under serious consideration after good starts. The leaders of the pack so far are HB Melvin Gordon, who has a TD in each game and 130+ yards per contest, and DE Shawn Gordon, who has 3 sacks so far and looks like a beast.
Itís also interesting to note that the Top 10 features 7 first rounders and 3 second rounders, indicating a lot of GMs did their homework. So far only 3 of the defensive rookies have cracked the top 10, but there are many prospects that fell into the ĎUnder Considerationí category. Least likely to stay in the Top 10: QB Derek Carr, who played admirably when starter Mark Sanchez went down in Week 1.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Here are the candidates for Rookie of the Year:
1. HB Melvin Gordon, DAL (268 yds, 6.0 ypc, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.22
2. DE Shawn Oakman, BUF (11 tak, 1 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 FF) Previous Rank: 1.25
3. HB Todd Gurley, TB (233 yds, 4.4 ypc, 1 TD) Previous Rank: 1.5
4. WR Odell Beckham, Jr, STL (212 yds, 14.1 avg, 1 TD) Previous Rank: 1.14
5. OT Thomas Donahue, MIN (14 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: 2.20
6. WR DeMarco Mann, CIN (159 yds, 17.7 avg, 0 TD) Previous Rank: 2.5
7. OT Brandon Scherff, DET (11 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: 1.10
8. OLB Randy Gregory, HOU (15 tkl, 3 TFL, 1 FF) Previous Rank: 1.18
9. QB Derek Carr, DAL (61.5%, 156 yds, 1 TD, 91.2 rating) Previous Rank: 2.17
10. FS Landon Collins, KC (13 tkl, 1 TFL, 1 int, 1 TD, 8 defl) Previous Rank: 1.24
Others receiving consideration: OLB Shane Ray, BAL, MLB Matt Burton, KC, HB Jeremy Hill, PHI, WR Kelvin Benjamin, NE, WR DeVante Parker, CLE, WR Amari Cooper, OAK, OT Bonaventure Royer, NO, MLB Benardrick McKinney, ATL