The 2018 season is moving along quickly as we near the half-way point. We last checked in on the rookie class after week 2, and there has been a lot of movement among the front-runners for Rookie of the Year.
Interesting to note that there have not yet emerged any rookie QBs worthy of the list. Jameis Winston looked decent in relief for the Bucs, as did Derek Carr in his brief appearances. But it doesn’t appear that any one will emerge, at least at this point. First pick overall, Trae Waynes, has been playing well for the Colts with 9 deflections against 14 catches allowed. However, he has yet to make his first pick. Second pick overall Jeremy Hill has been pretty average so far and hasn’t scored a TD and has been banged up. Still, he’s shown some flashes.
The big story of the first quarter of the season was the dominance of Buffalo’s Shawn Oakman. Through the first 4 games Oakman was averaging 2 sacks a game and looked to be on a record-breaking pace. He’s slowed down the last 3 games, but still has an amazing 8 sacks on the season. Dallas HB Melvin Gordon has been one of the few bright spots for the Cowboys, notching 3 100+ games and scoring a TD in every game but one. DE Collin Kilpatrick, the 16th pick overall has been a pleasant surprise for the Chargers. After recording only 2 tackles in his first 2 games, Kilpatrick has totaled 7 sacks in 5 games and is nipping at Oakman’s heels.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Here are the candidates for Rookie of the Year:
1. DE Shawn Oakman, BUF (24 tak, 1 TFL, 8 sacks, 2 FF) Previous Rank: 2nd
2. HB Melvin Gordon, DAL (579 yds, 5.4 ypc, 5 TDs) Previous Rank: 1st
3. DE Collin Kilpatrick, SD (21 tak, 5 TFL, 7 sacks, 1 FR) Previous Rank: NR
4. HB Todd Gurley, TB (504 yds, 4.0 ypc, 1 TD) Previous Rank: 3rd
5. WR Amari Cooper, OAK (356 yds, 19.8 avg, 4 TD) Previous Rank: NR
6. WR DeVante Parker, SD (386 yds, 17.6 avg, 2 TD) Previous Rank: NR
7. OT Brandon Scherff, DET (31 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: 7th
8. WR Odell Beckham, Jr, STL (415 yds, 14.3 avg, 3 TD) Previous Rank: 4th
9. OLB Randy Gregory, HOU (36 tkl, 7 TFL, 1 FF) Previous Rank: 8th
10. FS Cleveland Orr, TEN (11 tak, 1 sack, 2 INT) Previous Rank: NR
Dropped Out of the Top 10: OT Thomas Donahue, WR DeMarco Mann, QB Derek Carr
Others receiving consideration: HB TJ Yelton, HB Elias Vaughn, OG Oliver Zebedee, OT Ja’Wuan James, OLB Shane Ray, FS Landon Collins, WR/KR Joshua Michaels