I was looking over some of the leader boards this morning and noticed that the Packers two starting Tackles had allowed ZERO sacks on the season. That’s pretty good! Especially considering the duo has made a combined 99 pancakes so far this season. That’s pretty good, too!
It got me wondering how each team’s tackle duos stack up comparatively. A few cuts and pastes later, I had a listing of each Tackle duo and their combined stats, including Pancake to Sack ratio. A couple things about the following info. First, not every team has had their starters available for every game. For example, the Chiefs have 3 tackles registering stats. Same with the Raiders. From the looks of it, I think the Raiders have been using one of their tackles out of position. So when I had 3 Tackles with stats, I only took the highest 2, assuming they were playing those positions. This can be refined a bit, but it doesn’t change much the intent here – to find the best pairings of Tackles. It’s also interesting to note that here the quirks of percentages really come up. Interesting that New England and Minnesota are tied – though I think I’d rather have the Patriots’ 20 more pancakes if it meant only 1 more sack given up. But that may just be me. Similarly, the Colts show up on the bottom of the list, and they’ve given up their share of sacks (11). But those 94 pancakes don’t look that bad.
Also interesting that the team with the most pancakes, Tennessee didn’t make the cut, despite a relatively decent 8 sacks allowed. They were just outside the Top 10 by these stats, though my guess is the Titans wouldn’t trade their guys for almost anyone.
Tennessee had the most pancakes (128), and San Diego had the least (48). Green Bay allowed the least sacks (0) and Kansas City allowed the most (14).
So without further ado – here are the Best Tackle Duos (So Far)
1. GREEN BAY (Jamison/Armstead) – 99 pancakes, 0 sacks (99.0 Ratio)
2. BUFFALO (Grubbs/Fisher) – 84 pancakes, 2 sacks (42.0)
3. DENVER (Clady/Harris) – 98 pancakes, 3 sacks (32.7)
4. PITTSBURGH (Brown/Laurie) – 86 pancakes, 3 sacks (28.7)
5. ST. LOUIS (Smith/Bowman) – 84 pancakes, 3 sacks (28.0)
6. CAROLINA (Bakhtiari/Smith) – 84 pancakes, 4 sacks (21.0)
7T. NEW ENGLAND (James/Johnson) – 80 pancakes, 4 sacks (20.0)
7T. MINNESOTA (Donahue/Kouandjio) – 60 pancakes, 3 sacks (20.0)
9T. OAKLAND (Vollmer/Robinson) – 92 pancakes, 5 sacks (18.4)
9T. SEATTLE (Cote/Okung) – 92 pancakes, 5 sacks (18.4)
The worst sack ratios for a duo? OK, here they are:
28. DALLAS (Fluker/Peat) – 86 pancakes, 8 sacks (10.8)
29. SAN DIEGO (Gray/Barrett) – 48 pancakes, 5 sacks (9.6)
30. INDIANAPOLIS (Joeckel/Collins) – 94 pancakes, 11 sacks (8.6)
31. PHILADELPHIA (Roos/Lawrence) – 89 pancakes, 11 sacks (8.1)
32. KANSAS CITY (Veldheer/Britton) – 98 pancakes, 14 sacks (7.0)