Week 14 is around the corner, as is the end of the 2019 season. At this point, three quarters of the season are done with the Rookie of the Year race very much wide open. This edition of the Rookie of the Year tracker features more players that were considered than any in memory. There are enough solid rookie campaigns to make this a Top 20 list. If you see that your first rounder isn’t in the final Top 10 list even though he’s had an excellent season so far, take heart in knowing that he’s got some good company.
The last time we checked in on the rookie class, Giant HB Ben Medina was leading the way. At this point he’s barely hanging in on the Top 10 and at his current pace he may not make the final list. Medina has averaged under 4 yards a carry in all but 2 games, and his 5 TDs come in those games. Cubby Williams is back on the top of the board again, and seems to be gaining momentum. Williams has rushed for 99 yards or more in 6 of his last 7 games. Still on the list is the Little Engine that Could, Jet TE Baron Cooper. Cooper leads all rookie in receiving yards, 2 yards in front of first pick overall Devin Funchess. Cooper is second in yards per reception. Will the 6th rounder’s fairy tale season continue? Speaking of Funchess, the first pick overall has had 2 or fewer catches in 7 games, with only 1 game all season where he has dominated.
Also interesting to note that of the Top 10 picks in the draft, only 2 – HB Williams and CB DuPree make the Top 10 ROTY list. Of the remaining top picks, only MLB Brick Baylor receives consideration.
Here are the Rookie of the Year Candidates:
1. HB Cubby Williams, ATL (1,195 yds, 4.8ypc, 5 TD) Previous Rank: 5th
2. HB Ernie Gillespie, SF (941 yds, 4.5 ypc, 7 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
3. DT Eddie Goldman, CLE (17 tak, 1 tfl, 7 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
4. MLB Trinidad Walker, CAR (92 tak, 12 tfl, 1 sack, 2 FF) Previous Rank: 10th
5. OT TJ Clemmings, CHI (53 pancakes, 1 sacks) Previous Rank: 2nd
6. DT Archie Waters, PIT (19 tak, 3 tfl, 6 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
7. CB Emerson DuPree, CLE (48 tak, 2 tfl, 1 sack, 5 int) Previous Rank: NR
8. FS Courtney Rice, SEA (65 tak, 1 tfl, 4 int) Previous Rank: NR
9. HB Ben Medina, NYG (1,002 yds, 4.1ypc, 5 TDs) Previous Rank: 1st
10. TE Baron Cooper, NYJ (610 yds, 15.6 avg, 4 TD, 16 pancakes, 1 sacks) Previous Rank: 9th
Also Receiving Consideration: OLB Fernando George, OG Ty Sambrailo, MLB Brick Baylor, WR Devin Funchess, HB Tevin Campbell, QB Doug Eriksson, WR Gavin Szabo, TE Troy Battaligia, MLB Boone Watauga, MLB Eli Harold, DE DeAngelo Hardy, DE D’Qwann Miller, DT Malcom Brown, OLB Vic Beasley, WR/KR Alonzo Jackson
Dropping out of the Top 10: OLB Vic Beasley, MLB Brick Baylor, DT Malcom Brown, DE D’Qwann Miller