Hereís a quick league article. Sorry Ė it wonít be much in terms of words, but still wanted to post this to finish up the year end Rookie of the Year list.
The last time we checked in on the rookie class, Cubby Williams was number one. Williams is the clear offensive rookie of the year with over 1500 yards rushing, though his candidacy is hurt slightly by the lack of production in terms of touchdowns. Still, itís hard to argue with a player who had 8 games of 100 yards or more, plus 2 more in the 90s. The play of his season was his 99 yard touchdown run in week 13 against the Chargers. A GZL record that heíll own a part of forever. Defensively, three players made strong cases for defensive rookie of the year. DT Eddie Goldman had 11 sacks, which is great production for a rookie, but for a rookie Tackle, thatís impressive. MLB Trinidad Walker also had an excellent season, recording 121 tackles. CB Emerson DuPree, drafted 10th overall tied for the league lead in interceptions with 7. I donít think a rookie has ever done that, though Iím too tired to check at this second. Either way, heís the defensive rookie of the year.
Interesting to note that of the 5 WRs taken in the first round, not a single one made the list and none managed to eclipse the 1000 yard receiving mark. I donít think thatís happened before (again, tired, not going to look). WR Funchess came the closest with just over 900 yards. But the number one pick overall didnít have an outstanding year and statistically had only three games of note and disappeared in many contests.
Also, it was great to see TE Baron Cooper make the final list. Cooper has been one of the few players to make the list all season. Cooper slumped a bit down the stretch, catching only 5 passes for 32 yards in his last two games. But who doesnít love the late 6th round pick finishing third in yards receiving amongst rookies?
Here are the Rookie of the Year Candidates:
1. HB Cubby Williams, ATL (1,523 yds, 4.5ypc, 6 TD) Previous Rank: 1st
2. CB Emerson DuPree, CLE (67 tak, 3 tfl, 1 sack, 7 int) Previous Rank: 7th
3. DT Eddie Goldman, CLE (24 tak, 1 tfl, 11 sacks, 2 FF) Previous Rank: 3rd
4. MLB Trinidad Walker, CAR (121 tak, 16 tfl, 1 sack, 2 FF, 1 Int) Previous Rank: 4th
5. HB Ernie Gillespie, SF (1,279 yds, 4.5 ypc, 10 TDs) Previous Rank: 2
6. HB Ben Medina, NYG (1,428 yds, 4.2ypc, 8 TDs) Previous Rank: 9th
7. OT TJ Clemmings, CHI (78 pancakes, 1 sacks) Previous Rank: 5th
8. FS Courtney Rice, SEA (84 tak, 2 tfl, 4 int) Previous Rank: 8th
9. DeAngelo Hardy, PHI (37 tak, 7 tfl, 9 sacks, 1 FF) Previous Rank: NR
10. TE Baron Cooper, NYJ (734 yds, 14.0 avg, 4 TD, 22 pancakes, 1 sacks) Previous Rank: 10th
Also Receiving Consideration: WR Devin Funchess, HB Tevin Coleman, TE Troy Battaligia, MLB Boone Watauga, MLB Brick Baylor, DE DíQwann Miller, DT Archie Waters, K Carroll Palmer, WR/KR Alonzo Jackson
Dropping out of the Top 10: DT Archie Waters