Though the season has just begun, it's not too early to begin speculating on the Rookie of the Year race. In a new feature I will (try to) track the Rookie of the Year throughout the year, noting if a player is rising or falling in the rankings. I'll provide my top 10 based on their cumulative achievements for the season, but also let the readers vote as to their favorites. At the end of the season, the fake Rookie of the Year in our fake league will win a shiny new fake care or fake something.
Week 1 saw a lot of young players step up and already make an impact in their first year. So it was challenging to pick a top ROTY, much less limit the list to 10 players. So my apologies to QB Geno Smith, MLB Kevin Minter, K Dustin Hopkins and HB Eddie Lacy (also to Austin Laurie of whom I spoke poorly in my draft grades. Never listen to a guy who finishes 32nd in the league in rushing grading your O-Line picks). Also, please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field.
Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. Bull Griggs, HB, Jaguars (24 att, 156 yards, 2 TDs)
2. DeVonte Holloman, OLB, Jets (2 tkls, 2 sacks, 2 ints)
3. DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Ravens (8 tkls, 2 tfl, 2 ints, 1 def, 3 cta)
4. Austin Laurie, OT, Steelers (10 pancakes, 0 sacks allowed)
5. Tavon Austin, WR, Cowboys (10 cth, 128 yds, 2 TDs)
6. Terrance Williams, WR, Chiefs (5 cth, 107 yds, 2 TDs)
7. Jesse Williams, DE, Saints (5 tks, 2 sacks)
8. James Reddick, WR, Giants (7 cth, 138 yds, 1 TD)
9. Justin Hunter, WR, Chiefs (7 cth, 104 yds 0 TDs)
10. Michael Mauti, MLB, 49ers (9 tks, 1 tfl)
Also receiving consideration: QB Geno Smith, MLB Kevin Minter, K Dustin Hopkins, and HB Eddie Lacy