We are now four weeks into the GZL season and it's time once again to check in on the Rookie of the Year race. As I noted in my previous update, in this semi-recurring feature, I will track the Rookie of the Year throughout the year, noting if a player is rising or falling in the rankings. Below are my top 10 based on their cumulative achievements for the season, though you are able to vote for your favorite as well.
The first four weeks saw a lot of young players step up and already make an impact in their first year. After week 1, Bull Griggs was #1 overall, with a pair of defenders nipping at their heels. You the voters declared the ROTY year to be a tie between OLB Holloman and CB Milliner. Who will claim the top spot now?
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. Bull Griggs, HB, Jaguars (94 att, 598 yards, 6.8 avg, 4 TDs) Previous Rank: 1
2. Terrance Williams, WR, Chiefs (25 cth, 525 yds, 21.0 avg, 7 TDs) Previous Rank: 6
3. DeVonte Holloman, OLB, Jets (8 tkls, 3 sacks, 2 ints) Previous Rank: 2
4. Eric Fisher, OT, Bills (31 pancakes, 1 sack) Previous Rank: NR
5. DeMarcus Milliner, CB, Ravens (15 tkls, 3 tfl, 2 ints, 2 def, 10 cta) Previous Rank: 3
6. Michael Mauti, MLB, 49ers (35 tks, 2 tfl) Previous Rank: 10
7. Kevin Minter, MLB, Broncos (25 tks, 4 tfl) Previous Rank: NR
8. Justin Hunter, WR, Chiefs (21 cth, 283 yds, 13.5 avg 2 TDs) Previous Rank: 9
9. Josh Pietailla, WR, Redskins (16 cth, 290 yds, 18.1 avg, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: NR
10. Robert Lester, SS, Colts (15 tak, 2 Ints, 1 TD, 4 dfl, 1 cta) Previous Rank: NR
Dropping out of the Top 10: Austin Laurie, OT, Steelers, Tavon Austin, WR, Cowboys, Jesse Williams, DE Saints, James Reddick, WR, Giants.
Also receiving consideration: QB Geno Smith, WR Brad Edwards, CB Xavier Rhodes and HB Eddie Lacy