2016 GZL Free Agency Forecast, Part 2/3
|With the GZL’s salary cap set to grow at a slightly lesser clip next season, decisions on potential UFA’s will get a little bit tougher for GM’s. Below is a list of the top five potential UFAs, by my rankings, at each position. Now, obviously all (maybe most) of these guys won't hit the market, and I’m not in the business of trying to predict who GM’s will restructure, resign, or slap a tag on … but I'm simply digging out who is in a contract year, and has the POTENTIAL to his free agency this coming offseason. I’ll possibly update this if guys start getting restructured, re-signed (offseason), etc.
So let’s put the spotlight on some potential big payday guys …
Key: Player | Current Team | Current YP | Current Key Atts
*NOTE* - I’m going by the assumption that a player who’s 3YP with an expiring contract is going to be RFA.
1. Nate Solder | NO | 4YP |63SPD, 88STR, 86AWR, 70AGI, 80ACC, 89PBK, 94RBK
2. Jammal Brown | OAK | 10YP | 60SPD, 92STR, 87AWR, 64AGI, 80ACC, 95PBK, 93RBK
3. Vernon Carey | WAS | 11YP | 55SPD, 90STR, 90AWR, 60AGI, 71ACC, 94PBK, 90RBK
4. Ray Gray | SEA | 3YP | 62SPD, 93STR, 75AWR, 63AGI, 68ACC, 89PBK, 87RBK
5. Anthony Collins | DAL | 7YP | 56SPD, 91STR, 77AWR, 60AGI, 72ACC, 93PBK, 91RBK
While Solder is a player that, if he hits the open market, will likely be rollin’ in straight cash, homey … The rest of the potential UFA OT’s are either in their twilight years, or just “meh.”
1. Lance Nguyen | DAL | 4YP | 63SPD, 89STR, 74AWR, 66AGI, 77ACC, 89PBK, 88RBK
2. Joseph Hernandez | BAL | 4YP | 59SPD, 93STR, 69AWR, 68AGI, 79ACC, 87PBK, 86RBK
3. Khalif Barnes | BUF | 10YP | 62SPD, 90STR, 77AWR, 61AGI, 82ACC, 82PBK, 90RBK
4. Tony Ugoh | MIA | 8YP | 63SPD, 86STR, 69AWR, 64AGI, 76ACC, 89PBK, 90RBK
5. Chris Snee | MIA | 11YP | 64SPD, 92STR, 92AWR, 55AGI, 67ACC, 94PBK, 98RBK
Unlike the OT class, the OG class has some talent that may become available, even some that are not on the list above. There are two fairly-young pups (Nguyen, Hernandez) that can anchor the middle of an OL for many seasons to come.
1. Nick Mangold | NYJ | 9YP | 63SPD, 94STR, 98AWR, 57AGI, 81ACC, 95PBK, 97RBK
2. Jason Brown | STL | 10YP | 57SPD, 93STR, 88AWR, 62AGI, 72ACC, 87PBK, 96RBK
3. Jason Fusco | TB | 3YP | 54SPD, 91STR, 73AWR, 75AGI, 75ACC, 88PBK, 87RBK
4. Samson Satele | SD | 8YP | 62SPD, 84STR, 67AWR, 65AGI, 82ACC, 87PBK, 86RBK
5. Kristofer O’Dowd | NO | 3YP | 57SPD, 94STR, 83AWR, 66AGI, 73ACC, 80PBK, 81RBK
Given the scarcity of quality OC’s in the league, one would expect for the solid ones to be retained by their teams. And if not … there could be some cash sat in front of a couple of these guys.
1. Justin Houston | STL | 4YP | 85SPD, 79STR, 83AWR, 77AGI, 86ACC, 89TAK
2. Justin Tuck | BAL | 10YP | 84SPD, 81STR, 73AWR, 75AGI, 85ACC, 80TAK
3. Jason Pierre-Paul | KC | 5YP | 84SPD, 65STR, 66AWR, 86AGI, 87ACC, 79TAK
4. Jared Allen | NE | 11YP | 82SPD, 79STR, 96AWR, 77AGI, 79ACC, 89TAK
5. Andre Branch (RFA) | NE | 2YP | 82SPD, 78STR, 73AWR, 80AGI, 81ACC, 76TAK
This would be a good year to be in the market for a DE, a pass rusher specifically. It’s doubtful that Houston hits the market, but with STL’s cap situation I suppose it’s a remote possibility. There are a ton of older vet pass rushers that likely can be had, if you’re looking for a short-term stop-gap type of guy.
1. Marvin Austin | DEN | 4YP | 69SPD, 97STR, 86AWR, 66AGI, 75ACC, 85TAK
2. Domata Peko | CIN | 9YP | 62SPD, 90STR, 81AWR, 63AGI, 79ACC, 91TAK
3. Phil Taylor | PHI | 4YP | 57SPD, 96STR, 75AWR, 55AGI, 71ACC, 93TAK
4. Trevor Laws | CHI | 7YP | 71SPD, 86STR, 44AWR, 65AGI, 82ACC, 74TAK
5. Brandon Thompson (RFA) | CHI | 2YP | 55SPD, 93STR, 72AWR, 63AGI, 75ACC, 75TAK
Marvin Austin would obviously be a catch, commanding bit dollars, should he hit the open market in any capacity. The rest of the class, while no “stars” may be there, has quite a few solid DT’s available.
Stay tuned for the LB/DB FA forecast …