The season is almost a quarter of the way through, and it’s time to assess how all the rookie players are doing. They looked so glittering and shiny when drafted – but how are they producing on the field? Like last year, I will try to track the Rookie of the Year throughout the year, noting if a player is rising or falling in the rankings. I'll provide my top 10 based on their cumulative achievements for the season, but also let the readers vote as to their favorites. At the end of the season, the fake Rookie of the Year in our fake league will win a shiny new fake car or fake something.
Last year HB Bull Griggs seemed to be the top rookie, almost from start to finish. Who will emerge this year as the Top Rookie? The Jets rookies are the toast of New York, as EJ Manuel seems to have proven his detractors wrong with a strong performance out of the game. His favorite target seems to be fellow first year player Anthony Perez, a steal in the 3rd round. Also interesting to note that the 91st and 92nd players taken made the list, as QB Matt Scott has surprised the league with his play in New Orleans and Falcons DT Vickers leads all rookies in sacks.
The first three weeks saw a lot of young players step up and already make an impact in their first year. Some were Top 10 picks and some are surprising later picks. So it was challenging to pick a top ROTY, much less limit the list to 10 players.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. QB EJ Manuel, NYJ (64.6%, 772 yds, 6/2 TD-Int) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.17
2. WR Anthony Perez, NYJ (11 rec, 302 yds, 27.5 ypc, 3 TD) Previous Rank: Drafted 3.6
3. HB Johnathan Franklin, CLE (352 yds, 4.3, 3 TDs) Previous Rank: Drafted 2.13
4. LT Menelik Wislon, HOU (20 pancakes, 0 sacks) Previous Rank: Drafted 2.1
5. QB Matt Scott, NO (53.9%, 721 yds, 5/3 TD-Int) Previous Rank: Drafted 3.27
6. DT Shevin Vickers, ATL (8 tak, 3 sacks) Previous Rank: Drafted 3.28
7. CB Travis Murphy, IND (13 tak, 2 TFL, 2 Int) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.3
8. QB Mike Glennon, MIA (56.0%, 930 yds, 4/5 TD-Int) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.24
9. OLB Alec Ogletree, OAK (18 tak, 1 TFL, 1 sack) Previous Rank: Drafted 2.26
10. HB Bronze Pittman, CHI (262 yds, 3.7 ypc, 2 TDs) Previous Rank: Drafted 1.18
Also receiving consideration: SS Germane Baker, OG Khalid Crooms, WR Marquise Goodwin, HB Ha’Veon Bell