We are almost half the way through the 2015 season, and itís time once again to look into how all the rookies are doing. Like last year, I will try to track the Rookie of the Year throughout the year, noting if a player is rising or falling in the rankings. I'll provide my top 10 based on their cumulative achievements for the season, but also let the readers vote as to their favorites. At the end of the season, the fake Rookie of the Year in our fake league will win a shiny new fake car or fake something.
Last time we checked in, QB EJ Manuel was running away with the race, with his WR Anthony Perez close behind him. As we have six weeks in the books, itís interesting to note how far Manuel has slipped, especially after being hurt in week 4 and having a dreadful 4 interception performance against the Texans. Now Manuel checks in at the bottom of the Top 10. In his place comes QB Matt Scott, who was on no oneís radar at the start of the season.
As always, few players remain static in the rankings. Several players are new to the top 10, and there are some that disappear. Itís still early, and really anybodyís Rookie of the Year Award to be won.
Please note that even if a team loses, I don't hold that against a player who has made exceptional efforts on the field. Lastly, this is meant for entertainment purposes only, so let's keep it civil, and if you don't like it, you are always welcome to make your own list.
Rookie of the Year Tracker
1. QB Matt Scott, NO (53.3%, 1457 yds, 11/5 TD-Int) Previous Rank: 5
2. WR Anthony Perez, NYJ (539 yds, 23.0 ypc, 4 TD) Previous Rank: 2
3. DT Shevin Vickers, ATL (16 tak, 4 sacks) Previous Rank: 6
4. HB Johnathan Franklin, CLE (591 yds, 4.0, 3 TDs) Previous Rank: 3
5. DE Damontre Moore GB (12 tak, 1 TFL, 4 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
6. HB Bronze Pittman CHI (460 yds, 4.4 ypc, 3 TDs) Previous Rank: 10
7. CB Braylon Bender NE (24 tak, 3 Int) Previous Rank: NR
8. MLB Kenrick Nielson DAL (31 tak, 4 TFL, 1 Int) Previous Rank: NR
9. DT Brandon Williams MIA (9 tak, 1 TFL, 4 sacks) Previous Rank: NR
10. QB EJ Manuel NYJ (59.32%, 1,099 yds, 7/6) Previous Rank: 1
Falling out of the Top 10: LT Menelik Watson, CB Travis Murphy, QB Mike Glennon, OLB Alec Ogletree.
Also receiving consideration: SS Germane Baker, HB Joseph Randle, FS Bryan Harry, DE Jaime Robinson, DE Cornelius Washington.